Perhaps it’s that bout of nerves you get when you’re about to go in for a teacher’s conference. Or that burst of anger (and not at your child) when the school calls about a behavioral infraction. Then there’s the sense of injustice when your child is passed over for the gifted program. Or the flash of panic when you didn't get the “right” first grade teacher.
Maybe you worry that you haven’t done enough to advocate for your child.
Maybe you worry that you’re doing too much.
Maybe you worry a lot.
Whatever the case, you’ve probably felt it. The tension that comes from working with your child’s school. Sometimes it feels like you’re dealing with a world that doesn’t see your child for the precious gift he or she really is. The truth is, you are.
Your child’s teachers will never see your child the way you do.
Never.
Your child will have great years, years when a particular teacher is influential—even a hero—in your child’s life. You may agree with your child’s teachers most of the time. You may like what your child is learning in school, and do your best to support it and be involved. But you will never think your child’s teachers see who he or she truly is.
The reason for this?
Parents and teachers see the world--and the children--differently. And that's a GOOD thing. That's what this blog is about. I'll write about issues that stress us out as parents and translate them into teacher talk. And then I'll show you how to use this new language to get YOUR point across.
Take the posts as insider tips from a teacher.
Or as tales from the front lines of a fellow parent's struggle.
Or both. Because I have the mind of a teacher. And the heart of a mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is just what parents need--someone who's been on both sides of the tiny desk during a parent-teacher conference--to share wisdom on how to do it the most effective way! I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteTell me more! Just this week I had the THIRD conversation with the "wrong 1st grade teacher" and it's killing me. I know I'm past the point of doing this graciously and effectively. So, please, keep writing. This blog is exactly what I need!
ReplyDelete